About Me

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Lowland - Hit or Miss?

First things first! I started this book in 2014 and finished in 2015, so I'm confused whether to add it in the list of 50 or not. I might keep it on hold. Just in case I am not able to reach the goal of 50, I'll add it in this year's reads. Fair enough? Now coming back to the book. Lowland is written by Jhumpa Lahiri, famous from the 'Interpreter of Maladies'. I haven't read any of her work before, so didn't have much of an expectation.

                             

The Lowland is set up in West Bengal, after independence, then Calcutta. It is a story of two brothers who live for each other, the elder one being an introvert and younger one an extrovert. I wouldn't reveal the plot here so summing up it,s their journey from being best friends to choosing different paths in life to connecting in a way they would've never imagined. It involves the story of the women in their life - mother, wife, daughter. 

I am reluctant to recommend this book, as I found myself loosing connection with the characters midway through it. While the starting and end of the book are quite interesting, I found myself lost in the book. At times I wanted to skip the journey of Gauri (the wife) because of lack of connection, And on the other hand I wanted a better ending. Overall, I wasn't satisfied as a reader. 

That's that. Currently I am reading The Cuckoo's Calling. I have to say that I wasn't keen to start this one, but I am hooked. Can't wait to finish it! 

How's winter treating everyone? London is behaving rather quite nice, and we are hoping it stays the same. I have already started planning travel for this year, and we can expect some beautiful destinations up on the blog this year!! 

Have a lovely weekend everyone. 

*image courtesy: Google*

No comments:

Post a Comment