About Me

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Book Talk - A Thousand Splendid Suns

Eeeh!!

It's officially not a month yet since this space was last updated. Can anyone see a happy dance? This month I started working with a lovely small charity organization, working for the young people. It's such an overwhelming experience to go there, and watch the kids learn. The major plus point is that they learn different art and culture activities, like theater, music recording, ballet, photography, Asian dance. You name it, and they have it. It has kept me busy for good.

Recently the book reading bug hit me again. Thank god for that. In last three months, I have read more than six books. Isn't that great? When I was in my teens, I used to write down the name of the book and author in my diary after reading it, along with small review. Of course, I wasn't aware of the blog culture at that time. So, it hit me today that I should update this space from now onwards with the synopsis of the latest book I have read. I am slowly going to update the blog with all the books read. Starting with the latest book I Have read - A thousand splendid suns !

Image Source - Google

Khaled Hosseini impressed me with his work in The Kite Runner. I am not proud of the fact that it took me so much time to get my hands on another of his master piece. Like the Kite Runner, A thousand splendid suns is also set in Afghanistan. It is beautifully written, hurt wrenching story of two women woven parallel to each other. You cannot refrain yourself from getting attached to these two - Mariam and Laila. Born and bought up in entirely different household how fate brings them together under the same roof. You feel sad for the, proud of them, and what not. The story moves from the rule of Soviets on Afghanistan, to Talibani dictatorship, to the US - Afghanistan war. How a two women are affected from the war as well as typical male dominance. You cannot help but feel privileged and fortunate to be born in a country where you had right to speak, to rebel, to the basic right like education. 
The book nook :) #momsaysthat
A Thousand Splendid Suns is an intense piece of fiction. Now, I cannot wait to grab 'And the mountains echoed' also written by Khalid Hosseini. Meanwhile, these days I am reading the autobiography of Mahatma Gandhi. I am not a fan of biographies or non fiction books. But this one has managed to keep me hooked. I will post a review as soon as I complete it. I am going to be here more often, so apologies in advance for the ones who have subscribed to the blog through email. Hopefully, you won't mind that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment