It’s been over a
month since I last posted. I am not going to start all over again with what
kept me busy. Although this post is about catching up with the last 1 and a
half month.
I have been reading,
like A LOT recently. I am on my 7th book already in this year, and
hoping to achieve the targeted 50 at any cost. The OCDs in me keep kicking me
to get closer to the number with each passing day. Results... I have been dying
to read Vikram Seth’s ‘The Rivered Earth’,
but I can’t.. Even when I have the book sitting in my bookshelf, reason being
the book is extremely thick and I don’t want to miss my target by starting up
with a heavy book. I am keeping it for the later part of the year when I am a
bit closer of reaching 50. I won’t mind
if this doesn’t make any sense to y’all.
March has been a bit
tough to begin with. I lost a dear friend of mine this month. I don’t know
whether ‘close’ would be appropriate here as we had hardly been in touch since
past 2-3 years. This guy was from university, and we (The guy, my best friend,
and me) shared a really close bond back then. Once we graduated and moved to
new pastures, we both (best friend and I) lost contact with him. I did try to
get back in touch over the years, but not mention worthy efforts. I know
there’s nothing we could have done but now when he’s gone, we end up wishing
having stayed in touch.
Our friend lost his
battle against Hepatitis A. I hardly knew anything about the disease before
knowing about him. Upon checking online, I was shocked of seeing the hepatitis
A rates in India and other developing nations as compared to States, Australia,
England. Apparently, the developed countries haven’t even issued mandatory
vaccines for the disease reason being there strong infrastructure. Also,
earlier I was one of those who used to mock people visiting India and getting
their vaccines beforehand. I was like, “Yea,
right! You were born and brought up there, and now you want to be vaccinated
first before visiting the place.” I know I was vaccinated for hepatitis A when
I was a kid (once vaccined is good for at least 25 years) but what I am
wondering is how much are we aware about the disease? I, being an educated
person, didn’t know a thing about it. And sadly, many of the people don’t.
The other half part
of the post is going to be a whiny one. Now that we are two years into our
wedding, our families (both husband’s and mine) are after our lives for a baby
which just is bizarre! They have been emotionally blackmailing us, giving us
ultimatums, telling us that we are being irresponsible, and even asking us to
fear from god (as he might change his mind and won’t give us a child at all
later when we want it). It’s not that we don’t want a kid; it’s that we don’t
want a kid anytime soon which apparently doesn’t make any sense for them. And
couples around us, getting married after us, have started having babies are of no
respite really. It’s not that I judge their decision but I can see them rolling
their eyes on us! Will you just give us a break already!! I wish I could find a
way out to make our families understand and respect our decisions.
Lastly, the book
update… Since I last posted, I have finished reading ‘Since I don’t have you’ by Louise Candlish, ‘Us’ by David Nicholls, ‘Inferno’
by Dan Brown and ‘A diary of a Young Girl
– Anne Frank’. The first two are fine for one time read, but I wouldn’t
recommend them, and I didn’t write anything about ‘A diary of a Young Girl’ because
it doesn’t need any recommendations. It’s a masterpiece. Next on the list –
visit Anne Frank’s Museum in Amsterdam. I am currently reading, ‘Angels and Demons’ by Dan Brown (one of
the 4 books from Robert Langdon series). I have reached a conclusion… I am a
sucker when it comes to thriller and adventurous books. Obsessed with Robert
Langdon!!
That’s what was going
on. Now that I have written it down and caught up with the date, my OCDs have
calmed down.
Till later,
Sameera
Nice to read this well put together post,I'm so sorry about your friend.You have challenged me and most likely I might pick up the habit of setting a target of reading books once more.Good luck with your in laws .Keep in touch.
ReplyDeleteim really sorry about ur friend darling, stay strong bcs the show must go on:)
ReplyDeleteHey Sameera! It was great to have read this post of yours for more than one reason.. I lost my dad two months back and having been trying to move on with a positive mind. We are definitely on the same boat when it comes plan a baby" pressure! Lastly I've been wanting to start reading a book so thanks for your recommendation! Hoping to read "a dairy of a young girl "
ReplyDeleteHugs x
Hi Sonal, thank you so much for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your dad. It's so difficult to move on, but yet extremely important at the same time.
lots of love xx