About Me

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Book Review | Gandhi - My Experiments with Truth

Look whose back.

So as I mentioned in my earlier post about the current book reading spree, I am so happy to tell y'all that it is still going on in a full swing (:

Image Source - Google

I have kept down another book today called 'An Abundance of Katherines', by John Green. Book review in another post because I finished Mahatma Gandhi's autobiography few weeks back, and it definitely deserves a blog post. I have to tell the truth, I am not a non-fiction kinda person and hence I did not buy this book. Rather if it would had been me, this book would have never reached my bookshelf. This book reached to me when one of my friends moved from London, and had to give away some of his books. Destiny? I am so happy that I picked this book from the shelf to read. It has SO MUCH to teach. Before writing down the review, I must say that I am not a very big fan of Gandhi's ideologies.  In India, everyone has a different viewpoint about Gandhi's ideologies and I wouldn't want to go into his political role and everything. Even the book has nothing to do with it. It has his journey from being a 7 years old to an adult.

It tells his views on his child marriage, about being in control of lust, about how he was one of like us. A normal person with usual routine, and an irk to be better and presentable than rest of the society. It takes you on his journey when he wanted to go to England to study further, with a wish to be superior. He admits being materialistic, and then discusses the path taken to achieve no attachment. At one point you can totally relate with him when he writes about the materialism within himself, and on the other hand when he mentions his efforts to get rid of it it forces you to think what are you exactly doing with your life.

He has written about everything - his experiments with diets. He was earlier one of us, typical Indians, eating for the tongue, and then gradually made it to eat to survive. How difficult would have that been? The will, the dedication, it makes you respect him. How he unintentionally jumped into the welfare of fellow people in South Africa, and in later in India. How his take on vegetarianism is completely different from Indians of older generation. He writes, he is a vegetarian not because of the religion beliefs and morals but because he felt non violence includes towards animals as well.

As he writes, ""If we are to be nonviolent, we must then not wish for anything on this earth which even the meanest or the lowest of human beings cannot have."

This book is a must read, for self awakening. For a different approach for life, for a stronger will that's inside there to do something for the society.

P.S. That's one heavy post. I went too much into it, didn't I? :D
The another book that I ll be reviewing shortly is on a lighter note. Thankfully.
Also, just in case anybody wants to know what did I start with after reading the book. I volunteered at my office, and went to distribute pamphlets regarding the free classes being organised for children with learning disability and from weaker sections of society. I know it's not that a big deal, but trust me it makes you feel good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment