About Me

Monday, March 16, 2020

Corona, who?


With what's happening right now, I really wanted to sit down and write how I feel about Covid-19 so when it's all a distant memory, I can look back and read how I felt. If I am being honest, I feel really emotional. Being so far away from family, housebound - it is a bit overwhelming. I know and am really thankful that we are privileged enough to practise social distancing. It's already been 2 weeks Himanshu has been working from home, first week of Raaya not at preschool. It still doesn't feel real, I feel like I am a part of a scientific fiction movie and any minute an outburst is about to happen.

In last couple of weeks, I have learnt lots of new terms and read insane amount of theories and updates related to Corona Virus. I now know the difference between self isolation, quarantine, and social distancing. I did a little poll on my Instagram, and most of the people around me do really understand the need of social distancing. Friends back home in India are also trying to stay indoors as much as they can. It is so upsetting to see some people still going out to pubs and bars, partying when so many people who are vulnerable and have compromised immune systems are at risk. Social distancing is so that people (who can) should stay at home so that people (who cannot) are lesser at risk. Doctors, janitors, nurses, grocery stores, pharmacies, and so many more are open and will be even if a lockdown has to happen. We do owe it to them.

I also want to share about racism. It's like people are always looking for an excuse to display their hatred. This time around it's Corona Virus. Instead of face this crises together people are targeting and singling out asians. Reading the stories of old ladies being denied uber, people being asked to leave from restaurants become some arseholes are not comfortable with the idea of them dining in the same place. I wonder when this will all end.



Raaya has been asking a lot about why we have to wash our hands so much, why we are using sanitiser, and why is mamma telling her off each time she touches something on the street. I haven't stocked up yet, we are still doing weekly grocery shopping, going out for a walk in the park. On a lighter note, Himanshu shaved off his 6 years old beard within 3 days of social distancing because he was bored. Raaya and I do not know what to do with this new man in our house. Meanwhile, I caught Raaya singing to herself today, "I miss Christmassss, miss Christmassss, sooooo much." Me too babe, me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment