About Me

Monday, March 24, 2014

Food Talk - Mint Chutney

Another food post! *Yayy me* Although, any expert cook would laugh on my naivety in cooking department. Now this is the recipe of a simple chutney. I learnt this one from my mom, long years ago. I am sure I was around 12-13 years old, when I tried making this dish. My mom is a working lady, so she hardly ever had time to prepare chutneys and pickles for us. One day upon seeing mint, I stomped my feet in front of the vegetable vendor that I had to have chutney that day. Mum told me that she'll make it only if I ll help her clean the mint and coriander leaves. That was the first time ever I tried my hands on anything in kitchen. Of course, I just helped her in cleaning leaves and tasting afterwards.

After wedding. it has been a ritual at my home to prepare this chutney every Sunday. I just bottle it up on the weekend, and we enjoy it with most of our meals entire week.

Mint Chutney


Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
Mint - I usually get the pack from Asda, or similar store. You can get a bunch of mint leaves. Say around 100 gms
Coriander - Equal to the quantity of mint. Make sure that the quantity of coriander is not less than mint as it can turn the taste bitter.
Tamarind - A small portion. *Soaked in warm water for half an hour*
Salt - As per taste, or 2 small spoons
1 Onion
1 spring onion
1 green chilly. You can add more, if prefer spicy.
Cumin seeds - half tablespoon. *Roasted*
Dry mango powder - half tablespoon
Half lemon

Procedure:
1. Remove the leaves from the stems, and wash them twice or thrice in running water.
2. Cut onion and spring onion in broad pieces.
3. Add the leaves, onion, spring onion and tamarind water in grinder. Grind to smooth paste.
4. Add salt, cumin seeds, dry mango powder to the paste, and grind for few seconds again.
5. Now shift the chutney to a clean container, and add lemon juice.

That is it! Chutney ready. You might want to put it in a bowl or a jar, and keep it in fridge. Try consuming it within 5-6 days of preparation. If you want to keep it for longer duration, add some citric acid while adding salt, and all in step 4.

Also, I have recently joined Blog lovin. 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment